Saturday, November 19, 2022

The Other Wes Moore Part II Assignment

How I cope with difficult situations5 Meditation Tips for People Who Don't (Yet) Like to Meditate

    Moore remembered the time he went to the court to play basketball in the book "The Other Wes Moore one name, two fates." He gives descriptions of his surroundings while he is on the court. He came to understand that the courts served as a gathering place where the neighborhood's young men could join to form a "circle of trust." They could socialize, have fun, and unwind there. It served as their outlet for dealing with the "fence" or reality they were in. 

Like Moore, I have a hobby that helps me get through challenging circumstances. When I'm stressed out and in a challenging circumstance, I tend to listen to music and knit. By doing this, I can have peace of mind, stay optimistic, and avoid spending too much time in my thoughts during challenging times. I've come to understand that pausing or taking a break has helped me get through many challenging circumstances I've encountered and helped me come up with solutions. Life is a rollercoaster, I've discovered; sometimes it's up, and sometimes it's down. However, how you respond to such circumstances ultimately determines who you are. I've found that knitting and music have allowed me to keep a happy attitude, take lessons from my experiences, and plan out my next moves. The only genuine method to avoid acting erratically and making a decision you would later regret is to remain optimistic. When dealing with challenging conditions, you would have to recognize that there isn't always a way out or a means to modify your circumstance, but that understanding your circumstance can assist you to avoid repeating the same error. For example, when I had an important surgery scheduled that would determine the fate of my future, the stress of the situation could have discouraged me and made me want to give up, but instead of panicking, I chose to stay calm, listen to music, and not dwell on the negatives. Instead, I focused on all the things I wanted to do after the surgery, such as live a healthy lifestyle and avoid fatty and sugary foods, become more active and go to the gym, and so on. If I had concentrated on the negatives, I would have reacted in a way that exacerbated the situation. I also accepted that there was nothing I could do about my situation and that it was my only chance to improve. I've distracted myself from the situation and escaped the feeling of being overwhelmed by meditating, listening to music, and knitting. These are some of my coping mechanisms for shutting out the world for a few minutes to several hours at a time. When I put on my earphones, I hear nothing but music, which helps me relax by blocking out my thoughts. On the other hand, meditating gives me a sense of calm and peace. It allows me to keep my focus and redirect my thoughts.Post: 6 Activities to Help You Release Negative Energy | SheBlogginSimple Way to Improve Knitting Tension - 10 rows a day

2 comments:

  1. I find it very interesting that when your going thought a challenging time in life you decided to listen to music and knit. I find it very unique that you knit in order to have peace of mind and stay optimistic. I also agree that taking a break is the answer to going thought difficult times

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nahira,
    Thank you for sharing this part of your story and your insights and strategies for keeping positively focused despite circumstances or pressures from life. It gives me hope to know that you have grasped these important lessons relatively early in your life, though not without difficult situations! Good advice, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Wes Moore: Part IV

  Are we really products of our environment?      I've come to the realization that we can all be environmental products after reading t...